Job Title: Gear Cutter
Reports to: Gear Shop Manager/Supervisor
Direct reports: no
Division: (admin, production, VWOH, FWOH) Production
Department: Gear Shop
Location: Onsite; FT Gearing offices, Unit 3, Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Main Purpose of Job:
You will be responsible for manufacturing high quality precision components for aerospace application in both the commercial and military sectors.
- Perform basic operational functions of gear cutting machines;
- Responsible for setting a variety of CNC and Manual Gear Cutting Machine Tools for operators as and when required;
- Familiar with cutting, spur, sprocket, helical, bevel, worm, internal & external gears within the agreed timescales and in accordance with manufacturing plan;
- Install cutting tools in machines;
- Mount, align and secure tooling, attachments and work piece on machine;
- Stop machine to change cutting tools and setup in accordance with required machining sequence or to measure parts for conformance to blue print specifications, using precision measuring equipment;
- Calculate and set machine controls to position tools in relation to work piece and to regulate factors, such as cutting depth, speed, feed and coolant flow;
- Maintain and care of machinery, equipment and facilities to keep in a safe clean order, while reporting any known issues;
- Support colleagues by assisting with other duties when required, to aid the smooth running of the Company;
- Work in accordance with the quality system and processes of the Company;
- Maintain a high standard of housekeeping;
- Create and maintain a safe work area;
- Adhere to the Company’s health and safety requirements and complete training as required;
- Be punctual at all times;
- Carry out any other tasks where reasonable and relevant, when required;
- Maintain Quality paperwork, which will include signing jobs on and off, First offs and Stage checks.
Skills and Qualifications/experience:
- Qualification in engineering or similar field.
- Extensive relevant experience gained in a similar industry
- Experience operating Gleason/Mikron and/or working on Genertron CNC Gear Cutting machinery
- Experience of working in a fast-paced environment (ideally production-based) that can be noisy
- A desire to learn a new skill and develop within a successful company
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Be proactive and a great team player.